Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Freedom


Freedom is the ability to act without restraint, or the ability to have access to particular resources without constraint. (from wikipedia)

In my case things seem different these days. This was not the case for 7 years now since I started studying away from my family. I had full freedom of my actions, from everyday stuff (I was responsible for cleaning MY house, cooking for ME etc.) to paying my own bills and buying the staff I fancy without asking for permissions.

But it seems that this is period is over (at least for now). I was talking with a friend from my mobile and my father got angry because I was talking "too much"! This was a big shock for me. First I realized that I'm 14 (and not 24) and second that I'm incapable to cover my own expenses until I'll finish with the army and find a proper job.

My father apologized 15 mins later for the way he talked but still, these 15 mins of "lost freedom" were enough for me. And I'm currently thinking of all those people that live their lives without freedom. In countries that they are not allowed to talk about their opinions or their beliefs. In homes where the husband beats his wife every day. In the trafficking of women who live in locked rooms ready to fulfill the sick fantasies of their customers and so many others...

Compared to all these "everyday nightmares" I feel very grateful to my father for what he offers me.

No comments: