Thursday, July 19, 2007

Greek frappé coffee

I would like to write some words for the "national drink of Greeks"! I'm not exhaggerating. It is like this. I think that 90% of Greeks drink this more than couple of times per day. Turks and English have tea, Italians have espresso but Greeks drink frappé. I'm not a fan of this drink (I prefer green tea) but I think it's interesting to share frappé's history with you :-) Here it is:

Greek frappé or Nescafé frappé is a foam-covered cold coffee drink made from spray-dried instant coffee. It is very popular in Greece especially during summer but has now spread to other countries.

Frappé dates back to the 1957 International Trade Fair in Thessaloniki. The representative of the Nestlé company, Yannis Dritsas, was exhibiting a new product for children, a chocolate beverage produced instantly by mixing it with milk and shaking it in a shaker. Dritsas' employee Dimitris Vakondios was looking for a way to have his usual instant coffee during his break but he could not find any hot water, so he mixed the coffee with cold water and a shaker, creating the first frappé coffee. from wikipedia

No comments: